Bridlington Tourist Information 01482 391634
Bridlington Priory Clock & Bells
Bringing Bridlington Information to You
Bridlington Priory Clock & Bells
The large weights behind the gate on the right of the entrance which travel up to the height of sixty feet are part of the mechanism of the clock, which has dials on each side of the tower except the North side.
The clock was erected in 1879 and fully restored in 1947-8. In 1902 a ring of eight bells was installed by Taylors of Loughborough at the charge of W. B. Jameson.
Campanologists consider the bells to be one of the sweetest-toned peals in the North of England. The tenor bell weighs I ton 6 cwts. 2 qtrs. and is used for the striking of the hours while the chimes are struck on other bells.
In 1955 a mechanical Chiming Apparatus was installed for use when the bells are not pealed. Note also the Pre-Reformation Money box made out of a tree trunk shaped for the purpose and now on display in the glass showcase.
This wall formed the inner wall to the Prior's Apartments, and loopholes, now built up, which gave light to his rooms. can be seen.
To The West of the South Door a wonderful tribute is paid by a husband and two sons to Anne Mathurnia de Beriot, 1792.
In the second bay from the South Door are the remains of a tablet which was once adorned with other brasses. The cherubs' heads with wings and the old brass dated 1715 are all that now remain. The inscription tells us that "A most sorrowful husband arranged to place here until the joyful and happy day of resurrection, the body of Priscilla, who departed this life on the 10th August 1715, lately wife of Roger Woodburn".
The mural tablets further to the West are worthy of attention, especially that to Timothy Wolfe, citizen and merchant of London who died in 1738. "He left the produce of £500 to be distributed annually amongst the poor". The other four tablets which range over a period of 100 years are erected to members of the Rickaby family.
The four tablets. in the last bay were erected to the memory of members of the well-known Prickett family. Of the same period are the four memorials of the Lloyd-Greame family on the last pier.
The plain marble tablet commemorates Henry Frederick Barnes-Lawrence, M.A., Incumbent from 1849-1874. The inscription records: "He laboured devotedly to restore the Priory Church, increased its endowment, built the Rectory, enclosed the Churchyard, enlarged the National Schools and with great kindness cared for the bodies and souls of the people. In 1868 he founded the Association for the Protection of Sea Birds and secured the enactment of close times throughout the British Isles".
Near to this tablet are to be seen standing on the floor two ancient grave stones. The one with the cross is mutilated but sufficient of it remains for us to identify it by the inscription: "Here lies Robert Charder, Canon, who died 1535". He may have been the "Robert" who was Prior immediately before the last Prior, Wm, Woode. The inscription on the larger stone is complete and reads: "Here lies Lord Robert Brystwyk, formerly Prior of this place, who died in the year of our Lord, 1493, on whose soul may God have mercy, Amen". Both these stones of soft chalk stone were brought into the Priory from the churchyard in order to preserve them.
Bridlington Priory written by the late John. W. Lamb, M.A., Ph.D.